Monday 6 January 2014

What to do with an old headboard

Sometimes you find things that just grab your attention. 

I had that last summer when I found an old headboard. This was in sad shape. The legs were missing, as was the rest of the bed. 
But I loved it anyway. 
I could have turned it into a bench but I felt like it didn't want to be one.
So I let it sit for a while. 
I knew what I wanted it to be, but I didn't have all the parts. 
Then when I did, I didn't have time. 

Finally I got around to it and got it done before I had time to get before pictures. So just picture an old headboard that was painted on one side (pretty blue on the back) and natural wood on the front. 

 Since the legs were missing anyway...I cut down a couple of the slats and filled the space then sanded it all down before laying down several layers of different coloured paints. 

 I really need to get better at taking pictures because you can't see the yellow or green under the grey on here...but it looks lovely in real life.
 The details are wonderful and the hooks are cast iron...just perfect for this conversion.
I should have taken pictures of the back. 
When doing something this heavy, you need to make sure that the mechanism used to attach it to the wall is strong enough that nothing will fall with the weight of a family full of coats. 

And trust me...with the weather we are having here in Ontario, we need heavy coats this winter

Brrrrrrrrr

5 comments:

  1. Love how you repurposed this lovely headboard! If you have a minute, please stop by and share your post at the Everyday Vintage link party at Helene's Legacy. Your style is the perfect fit!

    http://heleneslegacy.blogspot.com/2014/01/everyday-vintage-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning headboard! It looks beautiful as a coat rack now. Thanks for sharing it at Knick of Time Tuesday - I'm featuring you tonight at the party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an awesome idea for repurposing an old head board! Just stopping by to pin this, and let you know I featured it on my blog today; thanks for sharing at Creativity Unleashed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am hoping the same best effort from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing skills has inspired me. headboard stabilizer

    ReplyDelete