Thursday 29 November 2012

Vintage Music

I love music. 
I love this time of year for all the wonderful Christmas music. 
And I LOVE old Christmas music, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby and the likes. For those of you who have Sirus have a look at channel 4. It's a 40's station that has some wonderful Christmas music on it right now. 
A while back...ok a long while back I picked up this amazing phonograph. 
I know what you are thinking. It's not all that wonderful. I mean look at that veneer. It's ruined right? 
 And the doors. Veneer pulling away.and see the inside? That material is EWWWW!!

 But it's a Victrola!
 Everything was/is there. :) Well just about. It's missing needles and the spring is broken. But I don't care. To me it's a thing of beauty! 
Can't you picture a party happening in a home with tons of music being played on this while everyone is dancing or talking. To me it conjures up thoughts of simpler times. 

So anyway. I let it sit and sit and sit. Then finally pulled it out and started work on it. I ripped off the Veneer from the top and it was soooooooo dry all I had to do is pull a bit and it came off in one piece. I found some wonderful wood under it and sanded it smooth along with the edges, then stained and sealed it. 
I sanded down every inch of this baby..painted it, glazed it and sealed it. 
And this is what I came up with. 

 I re glued the veneer to the doors, switched out the knobs to something I consider period appropriate.

 Isn't that top wonderful? I do believe it's solid Mahogany. :)
 Behind that ewwwy material was this amazing speaker box. I really didn't want to hide it, so I simply painted and sealed it. Then replaced the wood screen.
 The details get me each and every time.


Now to find this the right home. Someone willing to continue loving it as it should be loved. It will come with all the old 78's that I have. 

Off to decorate the house now...ahhhh Christmas. Going to be listening to channel 4 on Sirus to keep me in the mood :) 

Sharing here:

At the Picket Fence
Miss Mustard Seed 
The Shabby Creek Cottage 
The Vintage Farmhouse 
Stuff and Nonsense 
  

1 comment: