Sunday 11 March 2012

Some great finds.

The weekend is over again. Tomorrow I'm starting a few new projects and will hopefully remember to take before pics. 
We had a great weekend at the cottage, opening it up and getting it ready for the season. Unfortunately the weather didn't allow me to spend any time in the garage working on the things that have been waiting my attention since last fall. 
BUT we did get out to the Re Store and a couple of thrift stores. Picked up a few things. 
 We found this simple but wonderful mirror at the Re Store. It's going to get painted white and have a bit of distressing. It will be replacing the mirror in our half bath. $10 SCORE! :)

 Found this wonderful old wine bottle at a thrift store. I thought the shell design was perfect for the cottage.
 Now these I bought at an auction sale last fall and left at the cottage over winter. They are completely hand carved. Even the lines that make you think are planks of wood are carved. They really are an incredible piece of art.

 Now this is an old milk can I picked up almost 2 years ago and have used it as is for our umbrellas. Very 1980's isn't it? Time for an update I think :)
I am super pleased with this find at a thrift store this weekend. I'm not going to change a thing about it. It's a stone bottle from Holland (the land of my birth). It just brings back such wonderful memories and I consider myself lucky to have found it :) Yup...sentimental for some things. :) 
So blue was my colour of choice for everything. 
 Soooo much better don't you think?


 I did a bit of highlighting with a simple white. This isn't done, but it is so much better!
 I used a primer on this then painted it and when it was just about dry I took some of the paint off to let some of the glass show through.

 Then I let it dry over night and did a very light sanding in order to just remove a bit of the top layer of paint to allow the primer to show through. I think I'm going to add a bit of wax next weekend to just add one more layer to it. But I really love it and it's just perfect for the cottage.
 I really struggled with painting this, but after doing it, I think I made the right choice.
 I highlighted it and left it. I'm not sure what else I should do with them. I'm open to ideas. I really think they should be framed, but not exactly sure how, or what would enhance them.

  The details are simply amazing. I wish I could have taken better pics of them. 
That's all I have for today. I hope your weekend was as wonderful and relaxing as mine was. 

Sharing:
Momma Hens Coop 
 Graphics Fairy Brag Monday
DIY Show OFF 
Embellishing Life Everyday 
Knick Of Time 
Adventures of a DIY mom 
Uncommon Designs Online 
The Shabby Creek Cottage 
Stuff and Nonsense 

7 comments:

  1. I loved the milk jug!!! Great and simple "makeover"!
    I just came over here (on my blog) and saw you had just posted! I also came to post one great find on Craigslist!
    Have fun refinishing your mirror, I am also painting a mirror this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I found you via a blog I found via Brag Monday, funny how that always happens! You find one and then you notice another in that one haha! Well I was drawn to yours as a fellow Canadian (well actually I'm English masquerading as a fellow Canadian - moved to Sunny Manitouwadge 18 months ago) and what did I find? A girl after my own heart who just loves to thrift and revamp! looking forward to checking out all the posts I missed and joined your following!

    Love your transformations this weekend!

    Ro

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha that's too funny! Transplanted Canadian...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what finds!! good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness you found some awesome stuff! I love that a few coats of paint made your finds so pretty! Thanks so much for sharing at our party this week! Can't wait to see what you are up to next week!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love what you've done with the shell jar! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete