Saturday 14 May 2011

Crate designs

Not sure about you, but this weekend was the best on Friday, it was wonderful weather and I was able to pull a lot of things out at the cottage and get our small plants (that we started from seed) into the garden. I also started and finished a small project. 
Remember the crate I picked up at a yard sale last weekend? Well it's done and I'm really in LUV! 


Here is what it looked like before. 


Now I did take a few really nice "before" pictures, but my camera died and I don't have replacement batteries here :( So the next few pics are done on my phone, sorry for the lousy quality. 
First I sanded down the top lightly so that all the really "rough" edges were no longer dangerous, and no small child would ever get hurt running little hands over it. We often have friends with little ones over and the last thing I would want is one of them hurt. 
Then I planned out a design. I wasn't sure if I was going to go with a coffee or wine theme. I really love both ideas, and hopefully I will be able to find another crate so I can choose a second design involving coffee as I chose wine this time. 
This is what it looked like after I painted the letters on it as well as an established date. 

Again, sorry for the lousy quality. 
Then I picked out a stain, I used or experimented with a gel stain. I wanted to see if I could use it sparingly to create an aged look by making it heavier in some areas and lighter in others. I love the end result. 





So what do you think? I have no idea where I'm going to display this, but I sooooooo love it!! Something I'm going to keep forever! Especially since it has my last name on it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment